Pipe/Pole Monitor Mount
In one of our project we showed a computer gaming chair from Don Sturrock. I have wanted to mount a monitor to a horizontal pole before for other project ideas. I remembered Don’s project and asked him how he attached his monitor. He was kind enough to share the details and a few pictures. I thought others would be interested on how to attach a monitor to pole or pipe, so see the picters above and the Detail for Don below:
Detals from Don
For my monitor I used two flat 3"x5" nail plates from Home Depot and a 6" long piece of alderwood 1×4. I attached the nail plates to the 1×4 with six #4 x 3/4" screws and then lined up the monitor mount holes onto the plates, drilled them out, painted it with RustOleum Flat Black Enamel and used the screws from the monitor to attach to the plates (see pic). The metal clamps have a good bite on the pipe so I feel the monitor is secure (22" monitor).
I also sent a pic of the underside of the keyboard. you can see the velcro that attaches it to the 16" long 1×4 alderwood and the plastic clamps (sorry for the fuzzy picture).
Downsides of this Approach
In looking at this mounting approach, it may be inexpensive but there are probably some downsides to be recognized
- Not sure how this will work on a vertical pole – Don mounted to a horizontal pole (that’s what I’m planning on doing.) I’m not sure how this would hold if mounted on a vertical pole or pipe.
- Scratches up the pipe – Judging from the pictures, adjusting the monitor (because of the bite of the clamps) scratches up the pipe pretty good. If you’re doing something that has to have really clean look then this might not work for you.
A decent pipe mount looks like it’s going to cost you a couple of dollars.
All pricing as of March 5, 2010.
- Triple-Pivot Pipe-Mount Monitor Bracket Kit, Pipe Clamp (fits 1.5" dia. pipe) - $50.00 looks plastic not sure about durability
- Direct Pole Monitor Mount Silver - $119.00 I know someone who has used these satisfactorily.
- Pole Mount Monitor Arm - $69.00 not sure what pipe size this will work with (Im going to find out)
- Ergotron - Pole mount kit - $52.92 Picture is sketchy, not sure about the function or the quality
- CCTV Garage VTLCD PMT LCD Monitor Swivel Pole Mount - $36.48 This one looks promising.
- Chief KPP110S Flat Panel Pivot/Tilt Pole Mount - $72.99
- Chief Dual Swing Arm Pole LCD Mount - KPD-110 - $161.49